Thursday, December 12, 2013

Learning The Ropes


Believe it or not I am beginning to discover my inner chef in the kitchen. I know, it's a little unbelievable because I was the one who didn't know how to make scrambled eggs when Joe and I first moved in together. Not long after we moved in together I casually mentioned I don't "do" dishes. (Yes, I actually said that and no Joe didn't go running for the hills.) Amazingly, I learned how to do dishes and have become an expert now that we are living without a dishwasher. Now to the cooking part, the thing that really got me started in the kitchen was the planning aspect. We all know that if there is an event or important moment in the future I will be the first one to jump in and plan it out to a T. I began to research different recipes on the internet and found a one blog that I follow religiously now. At first I just loved how the recipes were both dumbed down and budget friendly. It also helped that the author posted huge photos of each step of the recipe process. It took a while for me to jump in an actually make something. Once I made my first meal (Chicken Enchiladas) I wasn't necessarily hooked (although I was hooked to those enchiladas... yum!) and tended not to shy away from my staple recipes. Soon after I started my new position in New York City I began to really get the cooking itch. I think it was due to the fact that after arriving home from work each day Joe and I had little time to cook, eat, and relax. I was determined not to let my new hours cause us to be fast food junkies. So I took to my favorite blog and started to realize that the ingredients for most of these recipes were already sitting on my shelf. I began to cook two to three times a week and not only surprised the hell out of Joe (sorry for the cursing) but surprised myself as well. Here are just a few of the amazing recipes I have made over the past few months:

Chipotle Chicken Chili & Buttermilk Cornbread

Pesto Stuffed Shells

Creamy Pesto Pasta with Chicken and Broccoilli

Mother-in-Law's Meatloaf

Oven Fajitas

Clam Chowder

Greek Marinated Chicken & Lemony Cucumber Couscous Salad

To end this entry I want to explain something, although this blog might make me sound like I was a spoiled brat growing up, (I mean who doesn't know how to scramble eggs or wash dishes) I was not! My parents raised me well but didn't focus so much on chores. I did however have to correctly write my mom a fake check out of my fake checkbook at age ten to be able to get some gumball money. (How awesome it that!) My parents taught me a HUGE work ethic and for this I am thankful. I even asked my mom to drive me to Baskin Robbins a week before my 14th Birthday so I could get the job and start on my Birthday. I then proceeded to purchase my 1st and 2nd car before I turned 16. I have very fond memories of me and my neighbor (one of my best friends) sitting in my car for hours doing nothing because I was not old enough to drive. I am very grateful for the way I was raised because washing dishes and cooking hundreds of different recipes is something I can teach myself. I can honestly say that if I was not taught the life lessons I don't know where I would be today, Thanks Mom & Dad!

No comments:

Post a Comment