Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Sandy Aftermath

Things have settled here in Westchester County but the storms effects are far from over.

Monday Sandy hit land at approx 6pm in lower New Jersey and I can tell you we felt it immediately. I made the bad decision to try to get home right before the storm hit land. Needless to say I did not make it and managed to drive through a huge tree that was blocking three lanes on the freeway… the best part is that there was not a scratch on my truck but I was seriously shaken. On the drive home there was at least 5 or 6 trees blocking all lanes of the freeway and it was complete darkness. Once I was about one mile from home I learned that the road to our town was closed due to down lines and trees. I had to turn around and drive the thirty minutes back to work while being pushed around on the freeway by gusts of 70+ mph winds. I made it to work just before they shut down the majority of the roads.

Once I was able to return home yesterday things were pretty normal in our town except for the lack of power. I have been working 12 hours shifts and will continue to do so until all our 200,000 customers in Westchester County currently without power are restored.

All in all it was scary but it could have been much worse. We have begun the process of cleaning up but this is far from over. Wish us luck we have a long clean up ahead of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment